Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Royal Wedding Craze: My Haute Homemade Hat

Just like everyone else in this world, I was glued to the television watching the fashion show that was the royal wedding. And just like everyone else in this world, I jumped fully on the hat bandwagon. Us American folk don't ever get a reason to wear a hat, except to church and my Jewish heritage doesn't encourage Sunday Mass:) So, when 2 friends married, respectively, a Brit and an Irishman this summer, I was overjoyed.

In true Amy Salinger fashion, I was not going to be typical in my hat choice. I have never had a real reason to wear a fabulous hat before (except for dancing competitions), so I was ready to go big or go home. I decided I wanted something that could be worn all night, not just during the ceremony. And, it had to travel well since one of the wedding's was actually in Ireland. A fascinator was in my future.

A fascinator, quite simple, is a cross between a hat and a head piece. It is not meant to overtake your entire head, but merely act as an ornament. I went ahead and decided that designing and making my own was way more interesting then spending beau coup bucks on an overpriced, less original piece. Of course, in my world, I have the time to do this.

Styling a look for these two weddings (yes, I wore the same thing to both), was a bit like, "Which came first? The chicken or the egg?". I started with the hat, buying tons of huge flowers. But, when I went dress shopping and couldn't find anything suitable to match the idea in my mind, I chose the best dress I could find and went from there.


Love, love, love my bright and cheery 40's esque look. I also super love my friend Courtney's Tracy Reese (bought at designer discount!) orange look. Courtney is my best friend and a fashion designer. She is also the most crafty person I know which is why I enlisted her to actually create my hat. If I had made it myself, it would have looked like a 5th grade project.


Peacock feathers? Check. Crystals? Check? Glue gun? Definitely check. After several shopping trips (no one said home made meant easy), I had all of the items I needed to create my head piece. An afternoon later, my fascinator was ready for the world to see. I added in vintage clip on earrings (which I lost because I danced them off), a Swarovski crystal ring and a pair of $15 DSW shoes, and my look was runway ready.


Challenge yourself to really create your own look, enlist a fashionable and crafty friend, and you never know what you will come up with!

No comments: