Thursday, November 17, 2011

Museum Chic: Getting Glam for the Guggenheim

It is rare when you live somewhere that you take time out of your busy schedule to actually SEE your city. I live in one of the most culturally diverse towns on earth and I have only been to 2 museums in 6 years. Shameful. So when my friend Linda suggested we make our way uptown to pop into the Guggenheim, I was thrilled. Culture here I come.

The museum is located on the upper east side. If you know anything about anything (or watch Gossip Girl), you know that the UES is full of high class fashion. I love to play a new fashion part everyday, so this was a great opportunity for me to go over the top. When I met Linda her first reaction was, "Why are you so fancy?" Because I can be Linda, because I can be. Do I need a better reason? Neither do you, dress up because you want to!















I had no idea what I was walking into, which is kind of the way I like it. Surprises are fun. Apparently it was the first day of artist Maurizio Cattelan's exhibit. It was seriously mind blowing. I am not a "museum" type of girl, but this was awesome. It is hard to tell from the picture what was going on, but let me do some quick explaining. Instead of hanging everything on the walls as Guggenheim exhibits are usually displayed, Cattelan said he would only show if everything was hung from the ceiling. As you circled up the winding ramp, every step gave you a different perspective and new pieces of art popped out at you. Cattelan had a fascination with mortality, so much of the art included actual dead animals, including several dead horses. Bizarre and totally cool. Completely worth the 18 bucks it cost to get in.

Now that we have the art out of the way, let's get back to the fashion:) It may be difficult to fully re-create my museum chic look because I always shop at sample sales, consignment stores and designer discount, but here is my best try.

My gray coat was purchased several years ago at a fabulous sample sale store called Cadillac's Castle in New York City. I don't think I paid more then $100 bucks for it. Unfortunately, this Walter by Walter Baker coat is no longer available.... Anywhere. So here is a much more expensive option by Valentino. Totally an investment so you have to take that into account when spending $1000 on a coat. The key is to have it cinch at the waist, slightly flaring until it ends just above your knees. It is a great shape for almost any body type.






















Next up, my awesome rabbit fur scarf by Adrienne Landau. Of course I purchased mine directly from the showroom during a sample sale, but it is not SO unoriginal that you can't find a similar one. This option by Joseph is just over $100. The key to why I love my scarf so much is the slit in one side that allows you to put the other side through. You can pull it tight and keep yourself nice and warm or leave it loose for a stylish accessory. Rabbit is one of the least expensive furs and yet it looks super luxurious. Needless to say, this is the most affordable option.

I actually did find my exact sunglasses. I love them and they were the least pricey pair I looked at! That never happens. By Vince Camuto, this is the first year that his shoe line has extended into accessories and clothing. He even has a few pop up stores here in NYC. His new line features fun, trendy pieces that are really not that expensive. Take these big frame black sunglasses for example, they are only $55! That is great for a quality pair of sunnies. They are the perfect topper to any ensemble if you are going for the "rich and fabulous" look. We all need to be super fab every now and then....

And for the final piece.... Unfortunately there is no way you can find my awesome hand knit beret because it actually is hand knit.... By my mommy! Often times we bring our creative talents together. I design something and she actually makes it. This fun beret is a great example. I love the color and it adds a touch of fun to any look. Additionally, it is a good weight so I can wear it inside and outside. Fashion for every temperature. This example is a little more blue, but provides the same amount of fun. At $15 from Sears, you really can't beat it.

So next time you have a reason to go a bit over the top, do it. Why not be the most fabulous person there? Why not wear all of those items that you would never put together? Have your friends ask you why you are so fancy and own it. You are fancy because you are fabulous and you can't help it.

No comments: