Monday, November 22, 2010

Who, What, WEAR?? The American Music Awards

I do love a good awards show. Last night, on the American Music Awards, it was simply a parade of over the top fashion and musical performances. That is my kind of programming, fabulous and fun.

Of course my intense focus was on what the fancy musicians, actors and other random attendees were wearing on their toned and trim bodies. Never in my life did I think that this lovely Monday I would be reporting that Taylor Swift was my best dressed. Her country curls and cat eye makeup are always on my annoyance radar and I think her ability to FINALLY switch it up threw me off! Obviously this is a cute dress by Collette Dinnigan and is perfectly appropriate for the AMA's, yet it is not the most amazing thing I have ever seen. BUT, and this is a big but, combined with her new 'do and smokey eye makeup, she certainly got my attention! I was so happy to finally see a more grown up, sophisticated Ms. Swift. Thank you for finally putting the curling iron down and officially joining the other side of Hollywood. Bye, bye country, hello hot!

And now for my special mention.... The product of Will and Jada Smith, Willow, is really one fantastic child. I saw her in an interview last week and I actually stopped everything I was doing to listen. She is cute, witty, funny, stylish and talented. It may sound like I am a bit obsessed with Willow, but it is really just sincere admiration for a kid who isn't even 10 years old yet. Now, with that said, I think this outfit is crazy. But, the fact that she even has the sense to pick out such editorial pieces and put it together this way forces me to give her props. She is reaching for fashion freedom and really expressing herself. I love that.




Oh my gosh. Really, what can I say that is not completely inappropriate on a blog about this look? Apparently Kesha put together this little number using VHS tape. I love a green artist and recycling is definitely cool, but seriously, where did you even find this much VHS tape to design this dress? Haven't these things been obsolete for a while? I guess not long enough because you found a way to wear a full dress made out of the material. Oy. Should mention the studded eyebrows? Um, better not.








As for this look, I think even Nicki Minaj is surprised she wore this on the red carpet. Just look at that face! What on earth is going on here??? I couldn't make this my number one worst dressed because that is just too easy. This rib cage inspired frock gets my "special mention" for craziest, most ridiculous, "look at me" dress on the carpet. And did she accidentally dip the bottom of her hair in green tie dye or is that simply a new version of hair mold? If her goal was to be visually stimulating, she definitely hit the mark. I stared at her for over 15 minutes trying to find something I liked about this and I am still lookin'......

Overall, the ladies did well and the performances were spot on. I love any excuse to talk about red carpet fashion, so props to everyone who walked the carpet and gave it their best try. I am sure someone would have something to say about my dress too if I ever make it to an official red carpet!

No comments: