Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Running Errands in Style

Last night I did a Sass n Style party with a lovely (and entertaining) group of women. One of the women (who has attended twice!) told me about a tweet that Clinton Kelly did about how to look good even at the grocery store. Not to be outdone, I wanted to show off my version of "Errand Chic".

I have often spoken to clients about how comfort and style SHOULD go hand in hand. People have this idea that unless you have on super high heels you are not looking excessively fashionable. Sex and the City is a TV show people and NO ONE walks miles in 5 inch Manolo's. Oy, my feet hurt just thinking about it.

The fact that you do not have on your pumps does not mean that the rest of your look should go out the window. It is time for what I refer to as "my pajama look". It feels like pajamas, but it certainly does not look like them! For those days when getting dressed seems like a task, or you just don't have to go anywhere that fabulous, you can still look fabulous. In fact, you should always look fabulous! Always.

Pull out those leggings, they are seriously your savior for days like this. If leggings aren't your thing, jeans are a great second option. One of these two items will work for almost all body types so have your pick. The ideal combination for achieving this stylish "pajama look" is to add a longer, looser top. Remember, you want to be as comfortable as possible so wearing something that is looser through the middle will only promote this. As to not look pregnant, choose a style that has some sort of cinch at the waist, like a belt, or wear a longer necklace to break up the looseness of the shirt. Throwing on a trusty pair of ballet flats will keep the look insanely comfortable and still channel your chic side. A hat and sunglasses are a choice for the day based on how hungover you are or if your hair is way past the point of no return.

So there you have it. There are no excuses and no reason why looking stylishly fab is not a rule for life..... No matter how crappy you feel or where you are going. Done and done.

Image by brokeinthecity.com

2 comments:

TeriGigi/Girl Meets Paris said...

I love the outfit on the left. How about that on an airplane? I fly to Paris every fall, and I always fret over how to be comfortable leaving Florida, the long plane ride, and looking fabulous on arrival in that oh-so-chic city. Would that be a good choice? Jeans are not that great, and other stuff wrinkles. Oh the dilemma!

Amy Salinger said...

You hit the nail on the head! The outfit on the left literally IS my travel outfit. I am in and out of airports all of the time for my job and seeing as I am a stylist, it is important to look the part all of the time! Traveling chic is a necessity:)